Tuesday 26th of September 2017 (European Day of Languages)
- To celebrate our languages
- To encourage people to use their language on social media
- To make our languages more visible on social media
- To make people aware about the existence and added value of our languages
- To show people that our language communities are connectes
Team up with different organisations/companies from different regions to make a big statement on September 26th.
Encouraging as much people/organisations/companies as possible to tweet and post in #Cymraeg, #Euskara, #Gaeilge, #Gàidhlig, #Galego, #Kernowek, #Frysk, #Català … on social media channels, like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
At the moment, 12 organisations from 12 small language regions/countries have already agreed to join the initiative:
- Ireland, Gaillimh2020 – Galway2020
- Wales, Awr Cymru
- Isle of Man, Culture Vannin
- Estonia, Voro Instituut
- Kashubia, Radio Kaszëbë
- Catalonia, Voluntariat per la llengua
- Galicia, A Mesa pola normalización lingüística
- Cornwall, Golden Tree Productions
- Malta, Inizjamed
- Basque Country, Euskaltzaleen Topagunea
- Friulia, Arlef
- Fryslân, Afûk
The Digital Language Diversity Project and Mercator European Research Centre on Multilingualism and Language Learning will also support the initiative.
WHAT CAN YOU DO (FOR NOW)?
- Fill in the registration form (attached) so that we contact you and get in touch with other participants
- Inform your partners/network about the initiative and encourage them to take part
- Create a buzz in your region and inform news agencis/broadcasting companies in your region
- Ask famous people, (big) companies and organisations from your region to join in
- Point out that they are allowed to make mistakes using the language and that you can help them
- Share ideas with other participating organisations/people from other regions. We’ve set up a special Facebook-group in order to do so. Just let us know if you want to join and we will invite you.
WHAT THE AFÜK IS GOING TO DO
- Build a website with basic information
- Decide if and if yes what kind of mutual hastag we are going to use
- Share our ideas and knowledge and answer questions
- try to get as much small languages and regions involved
- Do the overall publicity
- Try to collect as much data/statistics on the day as possible
Mirjam Vellinga, language promotion manager at Afûk, Fryslân, The Netherlands (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Social media accounts ‘Praat mar Frysk’:
SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
The Afûk organised a Frisian Twitter day for the first time in 2011 as part of the language promotion campaing ‘Praat mar Frysk’. The most important reason for organising such a day was to celebrate our language and make it more visible for others. Fun, humor, creativity and a sense of community are very important.
It is very important to us that people use the Frisian language, even if they do make mistakes sometimes. Twitter day has been a good opportunity to do that. It encouraged people to use the language and it gave them the confidence to do it more often.
The success of the first Frisian Twitter day was a complete surprise to us. So many people wanted to join in and celebrate. It was overwhelming! And it remained a success year after year. Thousands of people participate every year, lots of famous Frisians, companies and public services (restaurants, hospitals, weather channels, national tv and radio programmes…).
Millions of people saw a tweet in Frisian and the #Frysk was one of the most talked about subjects on twitter on Twitter day in the Netherlands. The event gets lots of media coverage as well, in Fryslân, but also in the rest of the Netherlands, which is great for us and an extra opportunity to get our story across.
FORM INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL MEDIA DAY FOR SMALL LANGUAGES, 26TH SEPTEMBER 2017
2. Social media channels of your organisation and number of followers:
3. Other organisations, companies, people from your region that agreed to participate:
Remarks / questions
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT AFÛK AND/OR PRAAT MAR FRYSK TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS
Europeeske Sosjale Media dei foar Lytse Talen – Dia Europeu de les Xarxes Socials en Llengües Minoritzades – Jornada Europea de li Reîd Sociaîl en Lengüe Minorizade – Giurnada Öropea de le Recc Sociai en Lengue Minorizade – Día Europeo das Redes Sociais en Linguas Minoritarias – Hizkuntz Gutxituen Sare Sozialetako Europako Eguna – Jornada Europenca des Rets Socialas per Lengas Minorizadas – Journée Ûropéenne des Médias Sociaux ès P’tites Langues